The Y's Baltimore County Head Start program has been designated a National Center of Excellence by the Department of Health Services. Our program is only one of ten Head Start programs in the country, and the only Y in the U.S. to receive this designation.
Throughout Baltimore County, we provide a traditional Head Start program for preschool children ages 3 – 5 and an Early Head Start program for infants and toddlers, age 6 months – 3 years. Our goal is to ensure that every child is school-ready. In fact, Baltimore County Head Start children tested 41 – 69% higher in school readiness than other low income children across the state. We work hand-in-hand with low income families and local communities to strengthen the family unit through comprehensive services that include:
- early intervention
- parent involvement & family focus
- community partnerships
- health & nutrition
- disabilities (10% of our funded enrollment includes children with disabilities)
Y Head Start 2015-2016 Annual Report
Early Head Start Curriculum
Early Head Start is a free, full-day, year-round program for ages 6 months – 3 years. The program operates Monday – Friday, 9am -3pm. It is also offered as a home-based program where Family Development Specialists work with families in their homes on a weekly basis.
In Early Head Start, we use the Creative Curriculum for Infants and Toddlers. The philosophy behind this curriculum is that in the early years, children explore the world around them by using all their senses. Through use of this curriculum, we aim to:
- Help children become enthusiastic learners
- Allow children to learn at their own pace and in ways that are best for them
- Instill a positive sense of self, that will make a difference throughout their lives
- We focus on the full development of the whole child: spirit, mind & body
- Social Development – helping children feel comfortable, to trust their environment
- Emotional Development – build self-confidence
- Physical Development – help children increase their large and small motor skills and feel confident about what their bodies can do
- Cognitive Development – help children become confident learners by letting them tryout their own ideas and experience success
PLEASE NOTE: Transportation is not available for this program.
Traditional Head Start Curriculum
Traditional Head Start is a FREE part-day program operating Monday – Thursday from either 8:30am – 12:00pm or 12:00pm – 3:30pm for children ages 3-5 years. The program runs from September – early June.Transportation is available within a limited area for each location.
In traditional Head Start we use the Core Knowledge Preschool Sequence Curriculum.We teach skills related to school readiness as recommended and measured by the Maryland State Department of Education (MSDE). All Baltimore County Head Start centers are MSDE accredited and licensed.
The Core Knowledge curriculum is skills-based and involves the family as active partners in healthy growth and development. Working with parents, we prepare children to be successful by teaching them age-appropriate fundamentals.
- Reading - letter sounds, word families, reading/being read to, book awareness, etc.
- Writing - letter shapes, spacing, upper and lower case, punctuation, etc.
- Math - addition, subtraction, math facts, grouping, counting, etc.
We believe in developing the whole child: spirit, mind and body. For that, we not only focus on school-readiness, but social development as well.
- Circle/Small Group Time - name recognition, calendar, dramatic play, educational songs, science, library, etc.
- Health & Wellness - I Am Moving, I Am Learning; a preschool curriculum that teaches and reinforces academic skills through music and movement, daily outdoor play, swimming (where available), physical education and more; generously funded by Giant Food's Our Family Foundation
- Arts & Humanities - replicating the work of the masters, finger painting, crafts, etc.
Baltimore County Head Start Locations
Some centers offer wrap-around care for families that are attending school, working or participating in job training. This is a fee-based service. We accept Purchase of Care (POC) vouchers.
To enroll in a Head Start program, contact the Head Start center closest to your home. Our Family Service Workers will explain the process and arrange a time to meet with you.
Back River Head Start Center - 799 Back River Neck Rd., Essex, MD 21221
Offers part-day morning or afternoon Head Start from 8:30am – 12pm or 12pm – 3:30pm. Serves zip codes 21221 and 21220.
Campfield Head Start Center - 6838 Alter Rd., Baltimore, MD 21207
Offers part-day morning or afternoon Head Start from 8:30am – 12pm or 12pm – 3:30pm. Serves zip codes 21133, 21207, 21208, 21244 and 21215.
Emily Harris Head Start Center - 27 Main St., Catonsville, MD 21228
Offers part-day morning or afternoon Head Start from 8:30am – 12pm or 12pm – 3:30pm. Serves zip codes 21133, 21207, 21228 and 21244.
Fleming Head Start Center - 641 Main St., Baltimore, MD 21222
Offers part-day morning or afternoon Head Start from 8:30am – 12pm or 12pm – 3:30pm. Serves zip code 21222.
Highland Village Head Start/Early Head Start Center - 4165 McDowell Ln., Lansdowne, MD 21227
Offers part-day morning Head Start from 8:30am – 12pm. Offers full-day Early Head Start from 9am – 3pm. Wrap-around care is available for both Head Start and Early Head Start families. Serves zip code 21227.
Kenwood Head Start/Early Head Start Center - 4601 Fullerton Ave., Baltimore, MD 21236
Offers part-day morning or afternoon Head Start from 8:30am – 12pm or 12pm – 3:30pm. Offers full-day Early Head Start from 9am-3pm. Wrap-around care is available for Early Head Start families. Serves zip codes 21206, 21220, 21237 and 21236.
Merritt Park Head Start Center - 1728 Merritt Park Blvd., Baltimore, MD 21222
Offers part-day morning Head Start from 8:30am – 12pm. Wrap-around care is available. Serves zip codes 21219, 21222 and 21224.
Riverview Head Start Center - 3290 Kessler St., Lansdowne, MD 21227
Offers part-day morning or afternoon Head Start from 8:30am – 12pm or 12pm – 3:30pm. Serves zip code 21227.
Towson Head Start Center - 1801 Glen Keith Blvd., Towson, MD 21204
Offers part-day morning or afternoon Head Start from 8:30am – 12pm or 12pm – 3:30pm. Serves zip codes 21204, 21234, 21239 and 21286.
Administrative Office - 4375 Ebenezer Rd., Perry Hall, MD 21236
PUBLIC RELEASE: The Y in Central Maryland announces participation in the MDSE Child and Adult Care Food Program.